Mary McCarty Parent’s Club of Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI)
October 4, 2013
Welcome back to those whose sons have returned and greetings to the new parents whose sons are members of the University of Arizona’s Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) Fall 2013 Pledge Class. This pledge class is 40 members strong! Let us begin by congratulating the Upsilon Alpha chapter of FIJI for an outstanding 2012-2013 year. During the end-of-year “University of Arizona Greek Awards” FIJI was awarded the ‘Chapter of Excellence’ which is the highest achievement! Our men were also presented with:
-Outstanding Chapter Award
-Most improved Fraternity
-Excellence in Chapter Management
-Excellence in Leadership/Involvement
-Excellence in Recruitment/Outreach
-Excellence in Chapter Wellness
-Achievement in Academics
-Chapter President of the Year in the Greek Community (FIJI’s Chris Garvin ’13)
-Outstanding Chapter Advisor (FIJI’s Vince San Angelo ’62)
We are proud to support this group of young men!
The national Mary McCarty Parent’s Club is named after the wife of one of the founding members of Phi Gamma Delta and was created for parents to feel more connected to their son’s fraternity experience. Two UA parent volunteers coordinate the emails, fund raising and activities so remember, we can always use your help!
Over the past four years, the Parent’s Club has been able to support the men of FIJI by purchasing:
- Lunches and dinners during Spring/Fall Final Exams (there is no cook nor are there house meals during finals)
- Chapter House Improvement Projects – new living room and library furniture, the pledge library educational space and the recreation room were improved, all composite and historical photographs presently hanging in the house have been framed and most recently, in a joint effort with the House Corporation, new chairs were purchased for the dining room. The FIJI house is one of the nicest fraternities on campus!
In addition to providing meals, our goals for this academic year are to assist with:
1. Aristotle Academic Program – help offset the expense of enrolling all pledges and requesting members into this program offered through University of Arizona Greek Life and administered by Dr. Kevin Nutter. This program has proven to be an excellent way to improve one’s GPA through the use of time management techniques, test preparation strategies, prioritization, etc. The chapter last year paid $155 for each member in the program and regards it as an investment in academic excellence. We in the Parent’s Club support the Chapter’s desire to continue its academic excellence. You may go to www.UANews.org
2. Improvement to the FIJI House Recreation Room – including the installation of an overhead projector (donated) and screen and the purchase of new billiard supplies for the Chapter pool table. (Let us know if you have Tucson contacts for this!)
3. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MTBI) – for our pledge class through our chapter Faculty Fellow. This questionnaire-based assessment is designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions. The last pledge class expressed benefit from this activity and we hope to raise enough to contribute to the continuation of the program.
Mary McCarty Parent’s Club can continue to support your son and his Phi Gamma Delta brothers ONLY if donations are received. Last year’s donations were down. In the spring only 10 families contributed so we are low on ‘starter’ funds. With 200-plus members/pledges to potentially feed during finals week in addition to our other basic aspirations, you can see we do need your help. Any amount you would be willing to donate would be greatly appreciated. Our goal is 100% participation this year! We spend the funds collected the same year they are received so your son will be able to enjoy the purchases and benefit from the money you contributed.
Please make your check payable to: “Mary McCarty Parent’s Club” and mail it to either address below. Don’t forget to write your son’s name on the memo line. We will also be accepting donations at the house during Parent’s Weekend on Friday, October 18th.
Speaking of Parent’s Weekend, the men have planned a ‘Casino Night’ philanthropic fundraiser for us on Friday, October 18th beginning at 6:30 at the house. Light snacks and drinks are anticipated. All parents are invited, so please bring cash or checks to ‘buy in!’ (credit cards cannot be accepted) Prizes and/or silent auctions are planned, and you may have your son take you on a tour of the house. Dress is casual. Proceeds will go to ‘The Beauty Foundation’ – a non-profit that assists families facing cancer with expenses not covered by insurance.
Saturday there will be a tailgate party before the game at FIJI with the ladies of Pi Phi Sorority—time to be announced as the TV Networks have not scheduled the games as of yet. Hotels are hard to come by if you haven’t reserved a room, however there will probably be cancellations closer to the date.
Mom’s weekend dates for this year will be announced as soon as we know—plan for the first weekend of April. Mom’s Weekend and Father’s Weekend alternate years.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions and we will do our best to answer. We obtain our information from the FIJI members, with the help of the chapter advisor, so ‘bear’ with us as we share the information we are given, and always plan for ‘flexibility.’
We would truly appreciate a Tucson parent team who is willing to help coordinate the finals week meals since we are out-of-towners. Let us know if you can help!
Suzie Combs Karen Austin
10496 E. Penstamin Dr. 10483 E. Acoma Dr
Scottsdale, AZ 85255 Scottsdale, AZ 85255
480/650.2826 cell 480/363-8988 cell